Patriots Beat St. Francis in First Region Game of Season

Patriots Beat St. Francis in First Region Game of Season

AUG. 31 -- The Mount Pisgah Varsity Football team traveled to St. Francis this week to take on the Knights in the first region game of the 2018 season.

Both teams played each other evenly for much of the game with St. Francis scoring the first touchdown of the night early in the 1st quarter. The Patriots responded when RB Will Pascucci made a 38-yard run to within yards of the goal line and QB Connor Norwood ran the ball in on the next play for a touchdown, tying the score at 7-7.

In the second quarter, St. Francis once again took the lead 14-7 over the Patriots after scoring another touchdown. But on the next drive, the Patriots pushed down the field and Norwood scored a second TD on a short carry. Later in the quarter, Norwood completed a 32-yard pass to senior receiver Chase Grande for a third touchdown that pushed the Patriots into a 21-14 lead. However, the Knights responded with their own 70-yard touchdown pass to tie it up at 21. With just over a minute left in the first half, senior DL Aaron McCoy recovered a St. Francis fumble deep in the redzone and Norwood was able to carry the ball into the endzone for another Patriot touchdown to make it 28-21 Patriots at halftime.

Still, the Knights' offense kept fighting and opened the third quarter with another TD of their own to even the score yet again at 28-28. After several scoreless drives by both teams, the Patriots broke through the Knights' defense with a 35-yard pass from Norwood to junior Greyson Stevens for a touchdown. However, St. Francis blocked the extra point kick by Payton Broaddus to leave the score at 34-28.

Late in the quarter, the Patriots recovered another fumble deep in St. Francis territory, but were unable to convert it into a touchdown. At the start of the 4th quarter, kicker Payton Broaddus made a field goal to stretch the Patriots' lead to 37-28. Though St. Francis had opportunities to score again, the Patriots managed to hold them at the goal line late in the game and sealed the victory with an interception by Chase Grande with less than a minute to go.

With this win, the Patriots advance to 1-2 overall for the season and 1-0 in the region. The team returns home to the PAC this Friday, September 7, to take on Whitefield at 7:30 p.m.

Photo Credit: Rob Saye